Jul 26, 2009

Tori was out of town this weekend, so I regressed back to the life I led when I lived by myself. This involves a lot of biking and watching TV.

Saturday I got up bright and early to go do another round and round in Prospect Park. Larry's still leading the pink and polka dot jerseys (jeez, ya sandbagger) so the goal was to defend. On the first KOM, a break was away so we didn't need to work. On lap seven they rang the sprint bell for the green jersey. I haven't really been paying attention to that competition, but when the pace slowed just before the finish, I saw a sweet chance for an attack. Immediately I had a big gap on the field, but whoops! I was a lot further out than I anticipated. I was able to hold it to the line, but I really hurt myself doing it. Two laps later, they rang it again. I was not in the mood to sprint again, but two guys were away, so the field didn't ramp it up. When the Kissena guy in green jumped, I waited, waited and finally pipped him at the line. So now I have 4 points, which puts me 4 more points out of the lead; I guess I need to do something about that.

The rest of the race was fairly uneventful. Larry was able to take the second KOM to put himself pretty much out of reach in that one, but in the chaotic final he only got 10th, so he's barely leading the pink. John and Rob weren't feeling very good, which only left Larry and I to work together. Where were you Chris? We missed you. There are some pictures here, but I'm not in any of them.

Today I woke up at six for the Early Birds, but the skys weren't cooperating and I didn't feel like riding in the rain. When I finally got off the couch and on the bike, it was six pm and I rode up Broadway Hill about a dozen times. I was climbing really well. My overall fitness hasn't been that great this year, but I was climbing as well or better than I was June 2008, which felt pretty good. Too bad I didn't have these legs a month ago.

1 comment:

No One Line said...

ah, that was you that snuck out to grab those sprint points, huh? that was a good move. you were fast.

having those two sprint laps only two laps apart was indeed hurtful. i was on leadout duty and it was tough.